Thursday, October 13, 2011

Guess whooo's got a cute Halloween costume??

I finished my costume! And it looks sooo cute!

As you may remember I found this adorable owl costume here and immediately knew that's what I wanted to be for Halloween.

I started working on it last weekend when Brian and I were visiting his family. We stopped by Savers (a thrift store) and I picked up a few items to cut up and use for feathers. I found a dark brown pillow case, a dark gray, light brown, and tan-ish t-shirt, and some awesome off white scrap fabric with a leaf pattern. Brian, his mom, and sister helped me make cardboard templates for the feathers and cut them out. Brian's mom quilts so she had plenty of cutting boards and Olfa cutters for use to use.

Earlier this week Brian and I went to Hobby Lobby so I could get materials to make my mask, headband thingy. I decided that stiff kind of felt would make the best material and picked up sheets in light brown, orange, yellow, and dark blue. I printed out the make template and used it to piece together the owl face. I glued everything together with Aleen's fabric glue. I wasn't too sure about the stuff at first. It seemed like the parts of my mask weren't really sticking. But once I let it set over-night it worked fine. I attached the owl face to a stretchy brown headband.

Tonight I started working on attaching the feathers. I'm using a Gap t-shirt dress (I actually think it's Gap Body night gown) I bought at ATC last fall. I got one in dark and light gray and I don't wear the light gray one much so I figured it would be okay to use. I put an old paper bag inside the t-shirt to keep the layers from sticking to each other. I started at the bottom of the shirt and glued on a row of feathers at a time, overlapping to cover all the t-shirt. It went pretty quickly and wasn't too hard to do. The one thing I would do differently next time is use a wooden skewer to spread the glue on the feathers. I started out just squirting it from the bottle and it was hard to control the flow. I ended up using way more glue than I needed on the first few rows. By the time I got to the neck I was pretty much out of glue. I didn't want to go get more so I started scraping bottom with a skewer and it was just enough to finish.

I'm going to let it dry over-night and hopefully everything will stick when I pick it up tomorrow. I plan to wear a black long sleeve shirt underneath the t-shirt dress, black leggings, and ballet flats. The one thing I'm a little worried about is putting the headband on. I don't want my owl face to pop off! I guess if it does I can always safety pin it.

I'll post a picture of how it looks tomorrow after it dries!


1 comment:

  1. Oh by the way I found my Owl's Night nail polish! It's on my toes and looks beautiful! I also found another great color called Cockatoo's Mystery. Its a lovely shade of gray. It's on my fingers right now. I'll post a picture of that tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete